Tuesday 24 April 2012

Pregnancy is (7 months, one week, 2 days... approximately)

Pregnancy for me right now is wearing an apron to make even the simplest dish (avocado toast) even just for me... because I will spill on my belly.

It's being mystified and surprised by my energy levels.  One day, I can only drag myself through the simplest yoga class.  The next day, I am crushing my opponents (or so I imagine) swimming lengths in the community pool. (Ha HA, goes the inner dialogue.  Take THAT, beginner.  Slowpoke.  Watch out for me and my Pip!)

Pregnancy is, when totally sick and exhausted from said yoga class, swinging around, back and forth, back and forth, like I learned a baby likes in my antenatal pregnancy class and seeing... no, glimpsing my toes. (I thought I still had sparkly purple nail polish on.) Hi, toesies! Practicing peekaboo.  With my feet.

Pregnancy is being grateful a lot for how people help me out, even if I don't always really need it.  For the students, who have suddenly sprouted ancient manners way beyond their years, awkwardly trying on chivalry.  It's sweet and entertaining if nothing else.

Pregnancy is insisting that no, I can still carry very little things.  Being lovingly tricked out of carrying out the rubbish by my partner and walking as far as I'd like, thank you very much.

Pregnancy is something I already feel is escaping away from me in the finite way that temporary states do. Seven months already. And knowing that I want to only do this once makes it sweet and sad.  Very, very special.

Pregnancy is forgetting to wash certain parts of me because they are hidden other, or rather, on the other side of certain other parts of me.  I almost have to have a check-list in my head.

Pregnancy is re-launching this blog although I long for a more apt moniker.  Why?  It is silly, but it is me.  From childhood, across the ocean and a few trips here, there and back to another childhood.  One that I am growing with my greatest, best intentions.  Getting this thing reloaded now has the feel of preparing the bottle for a message to be sent out.  There may be times when, at home with Pip, on my own or overwhelmed, I may need to cast it out there and see if anyone is around.  Though the ocean seems a more friendly conduit than the internet.  More comprehensible.

And pregnancy means that I am in training, multi-tasking and super-efficiency training.  I know that I will have to get smarter about how I do things with the arrival of this baby.  The mommy olympics.  London 2012.

Heh.

Pregnancy means pregnancy brain, which means I get my jokes at least. The pressure to be intelligent is officially a lost cause, and therefore, off.

No comments:

Post a Comment